Geraldton Foreshore - 'Esplanade'
Project status: In progress
Geraldton's foreshore has been given a significant facelift thanks to the Royalties for Regions funded Geraldton Esplanade redevelopment project.
The foreshore area has been named 'The Esplanade' in reference to the historic Esplanade Jetty that was once located in the area, constructed in 1858 to service sailing ships and demolished in 1944.
The redevelopment, managed by the City of Greater Geraldton using local contractors, revitalised a formerly isolated semi-industrial site.
The Geraldton Esplanade project was jointly funded by:
The Esplanade features a viewing tower with 360º views of the city, the port, Champion Bay and Seal Rocks and all landscaping has been planted with hardy species conducive to the environment, using local seaweed for nutrients and its water saving potential.