Project Status: In progress
The Pilbara Cities vision aims to build the population of Karratha and Port Hedland into cities of 50,000 people, and Newman to 15,000 people by 2035, with other Pilbara towns growing into more attractive, sustainable local communities.
Royalties for Regions has invested $1.7 billion into Pilbara Cities for the key focus areas of:
- infrastructure coordination
- land availability and development
- community projects and engagement
- economic diversification
Through the commencement of over one hundred projects, there has been a collaboration with a range of government, industry and community stakeholders to transform the region sustainably by improving:
- housing affordability
- infrastructure upgrades
- new health and education facilities
- local business development.