Regional New Industries Fund
The State Government is committed to building regional economies that are entrepreneurial, creative and technology-driven to create sustainable job opportunities for regional people.
The State Government's Regional New Industries Fund will allocate $4.5 million across the nine regions of Western Australia to support venture creation, accelerate small-medium enterprise growth and seed innovation initiatives.
The program comprises of two allocations: a Regional Stream and a State Network Stream. Funding totals $4.5 million over four years.
The Regional Stream will seed local initiatives that build a community innovation pipeline and drive long term impact. Up to $300,000 is available to each region.
State Network Stream
The State Network Stream will fund projects that increase connectivity and build capability across regions, the state and to international markets. In particular, the stream priorities initiatives that enable technology development, service innovation and market access.
The regions will work together to develop initiatives.
What we can support
The types of initiatives that could be supported under the RNIF include (but not limited to):
- cluster development /co-operatives
- incubator/accelerator programs
- industry value chain analysis/business linkages
- export and trade initiatives
- smart specialisation/R&D partnerships
- entrepreneurial events (pitches, showcases, hackathons)
- innovation programs (entrepreneur in residence, expert in residence, fellowships commercialisation programs)
- economic gardening/business development programs that focus on scaling-up existing established businesses
- inclusive/disadvantaged programs/projects
- business environment reform
Any regionally-based organisation or individual interested in innovation and business development is encouraged to register to their interest with their local Regional Development Commission or by completing the Registration of Interest form.
There are nine (9) Regional Development Commissions in Western Australia:
Applications open: 3 October 2018
Applications may be made at any time, there is currently no set closing date.
From October 2018, Regional New Industries Fund applications will be processed via SmartyGrants, an independent, online grant processing portal. For more information on how applications are evaluated, please download the Guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions.
You can also contact the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development for more information at RNIF@dpird.wa.gov.au or call 6552 1860.