Life Saving Coronary Care Service for the South West Health Campus
Project status: Completed
Royalties for Regions invested $5 million to establish a Coronary Care Service at the Bunbury Health Campus for public and private patients.
The project included a six bed coronary care unit and a single angiography suite to be managed and delivered by St John of God Hospital.
The $10 million coronary care unit was officially opened in February 2013 and involved:
- Construction of an eight bed coronary care unit and an angiography suite
- Development of comprehensive and multidisciplinary cardiac care including access to allied health and rehabilitative services
- Development of formal referral and communication pathways to metropolitan hospitals using innovative technological solutions
- Development of formal education and training systems within the unit and linked to metropolitan sites through videoconferencing and eCommunications
- Consultation and inclusion of all relevant stakeholders including Aboriginal medical service in the planning process to ensure successful implementation and cultural safety.
Previously, South West patients had to travel to Perth, away from their family and support networks to receive life-saving treatment. With this project completed, they now have access to specialist cardiac care within their region.