Carnarvon Police and
Project Status: Complete
Royalties for Regions has committed a further $9.5 million over two years to supplement the $43 million already committed by the State Government to a new multifunctional facility, on the corner of Robinson Street and Babbage Island Road, to house Carnarvon's courthouse, police station and community youth justice services.
The complex will provide:
- two courtrooms - jury and magistrate
- a registry area
- jury assembly and deliberation areas
- mediation and pre-trial conference facilities
- separated spaces vulnerable witnesses, including children
- a secure custody area
- prisoner transfer facilities
- Police station
- Community justice service centre and office accommodations
- public waiting areas
- outdoor courtyard spaces
- ample parking.
Extensive community consultation, including with elders from Carnarvon's Aboriginal community, has ensured the building design incorporates features suited to local needs.
The new multipurpose facility provides capacity to accommodate service delivery strategies for the Police, Courts and Community Justice Services to 2031 and beyond.