Goldfields Highway and Wubin-Mullewa Road
Project status: In progress
Safelinks Program Alliance have been awarded the contract to upgrade Mid-West roads in a jointly funded initiative by the State Government's Royalties for Regions program and Main Roads WA, through the Mid West Investment Plan.
Part of the Safer Country Roads initiative, $20.8 million has been invested by Royalties for Regions to improve the Goldfields Highway and the Wubin-Mullewa Road.
The works on Goldfields Highway will provide:
- up to an additional five sealed overtaking opportunities over the 180km between Wiluna and Meekatharra on what is predominantly an unsealed road
- sealed floodways at strategic locations along the route to reduce road closures following heavy rainfall.
$10 million of Royalties for Regions funding was contributed to the total cost of $20 million for the Goldfields Highway upgrade.
The works on Wubin-Mullewa Road will provide:
- upgrade and widening between Perenjori to Morawa from single-lane seal width to two-lane seal width, allowing for a safer mix of heavy and light vehicles
- reduction in both freight transport and maintenance costs
- improved amenity for local, tourist and heavy vehicle traffic.
$10.8 million of Royalties for Regions funding was contributed to the total cost of $21.6 million for the Wubin-Mullewa Road upgrade.
These works will result in significant improvements in road safety along these stretches of road. Works are due for completion by June 2015.