PortLink Planning Studies
Project status: In progress
PortLink is a large-scale nation building project that seeks to create a more robust State freight network and open up the Goldfields-Esperance, Pilbara and Mid West regions to development opportunities.
Royalties for Regions has allocated $5 million over three years to the Department of Transport to develop planning, design and engineering for the Portlink project. Commonwealth funding of $2 million through the National Building program has also been provided.
PortLink comprises five separate studies that include planning for:
- an Intermodal Freight Terminal (IMT) in Kalgoorlie and associated freight logistics arrangements
- new road and railway realignments around Kalgoorlie
- upgrade of Wiluna – Meekatharra Road
- development of potential new road/railway corridors to link the Goldfields region to regional ports in the Mid-West and Pilbara
- Economic modelling of the proposed rail links.
The planning studies are in progress and will evaluate the technical feasibility, location and preliminary design requirements plus the economic benefits of creating a freight and logistics hub in Kalgoorlie.