Project Status: Officially opened by Premier Colin Barnett on 5 April 2014 and completed December 2014
Royalties for Regions supported the Shire of Augusta-Margaret River with $4.7 million to transform the precinct into a world class tourism and surfing destination.
The investment was made through the following funds:
- SuperTowns - $3.46 million
- 2011 – 12 and 2012 – 13 Country Local Government Group Fund - $1.24 million
The redevelopment included upgrades for:
- enhanced beach access
- improvements to power supply availability
- improvements to access roads into and within existing car parks
- new and improved visitor amenities (BBQs, lookout spots, picnic areas, car parks and playground equipment).
Local artwork including sculptures, mosaic tiling, shelters and artwork on walls and steps have enhanced the development's aesthetics and give the area a local feel.
The Surfers Point Precinct is now showcased globally, hosting the world's best surfers and large spectator crowds during the annual Drug Aware Margaret River Pro event.